When Your Head Strong Pup Won't Walk Next to You

I was recently at a training with a head-strong Doberman puppy who just would not want to walk next to me (on the leash, of course).  What do I do?


Sometimes, with head-strong, large puppies, you have to rethink your course of education.  If the puppy is constantly pulling you on the leash and the standard methods are not showing results, you are obviously not at the proper educational level to provide the necessary training for improvement.  This is one of the most common issues when the training process is not gaining traction.  Well, what do you do and how do you do it?

Wolfie was obviously a puller, but the question was "Why?".  He also was in a small condo most of the day and appeared to be very excited to get out in the open spaces and fresh air.  In observing him for about ten minutes, I decided to give him more leash to see if he acted the same way with a little more freedom.

Allowing Wolfie to have a few more feet of leash changed his demeanor completely.  He no longer pulled and quieted down completely.  If he got out to the end of the leash, I simply gave it a little tug and he returned to me immediately.  After a short period of time, if I stopped walking, he would too. 

What I simply did was to postulate that giving Wolfie a little more leash, his focus on the distractions would decrease and his ability to focus on me would increase.  It worked.  I now had him at a point where I could successfully educate him.  This is obviously not the final place we want Wolfie to be when on a walk, but it begins to allow us to educate him on the process.  Slowly, over time, I will move him back to my side.

For more information, please contact The Best Dog Trainers in South Florida.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dog Training Tips from Cooper City to Help Your Dog Eat His Food

Dog Training Information from Sunrise Florida about Bike Safety

Dog Training Tips from Parkland Florida about Jumping