View this blog on your Mobile Device. Click here.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

What To Do When An "Off Leash" Dog Runs At You

I live in a area where a lot of people let their dogs roam free (off leash).  What do I do when I am out on a walk and one of them runs at Wolfie and me?  (I don't want either of us to be bitten!)

We definitely don't want the picture above to happen to us! 

It just so happens that this happened the other day while Wolfie and I were out for a walk.  An off leash Pit Bull charged us while we were walking down the street.  Needless to say that I can still type with all ten fingers, so we made it out just fine.  Let me recant what happened...

Wolfie and I were walking down the street (Wolfie was on a leash) when I noticed a Pit Bull on the front porch of a house about half a block in front of us.  I crossed over to the other side of the street and continued to observe the dog.  I noticed no body tension or posturing from the dog.  He didn't seem to have a great deal of interest in us.  I also noticed that Wolfie was also not reacting to the dog in any manner.  Since the body language of the two dogs exhibited no aggressive or fearful tendencies, I decided to proceed.

Wolfie and I continued to slowly walk down the street past the dog.  As we were directly across the street from the dog, he bolted for us.  At this point, Wolfie and I could not run.  All we could do was prepare for the "meeting". 

I observed that the Pit Bull was running at us, but in a relaxed manner.  As he came closer to us, he slowed down and stopped about ten feet away.  Wolfie and I stood tall and faced him.  We did not make any quick moves that the Pit Bull could interpret as aggressive or "attacking".  We allowed the Pit to make the next step.

After a few seconds, he slowly approached and gave the "doggie greeting" to Wolfie.  Wolfie stood still.  At this point, I knew that we were going to be just fine.  The Pit then wandered off for a second to mark some flowers in a neighbor's yard and then ran back to us.  Wolfie then gave the "doggie greeting" to the Pit Bull. 

The situation had been successfully defused through the use of observing canine behavior and acting in a calm and assertive manner.

For more information, please contact The Best Dog Trainers in South Florida.

No comments: