Wolfie Always Runs Thru The Door Ahead of Me!
Guess what! In the dog's world, the alpha leader must always be out front to check out that everything is safe for the rest of the pack to follow. As you go from room to room, that is a new place and a new opportunity for Wolfie to do his job and make sure everything is safe for you. Wolfie thinks he is the leader. I am not going to delve into readjusting the pack to allow Wolfie to understand that you are the leader today. What I am going to do is to provide you with the training instructions to allow you to go through first.
Here is what you do:
- Put Wolfie on a leash and slowly approach the door.
- Stop when you are about two feet from the door and command Wolfie to Sit and Wait.
- Slowly open the door, always making sure that Wolfie is not getting ready to move. If you see Wolfie getting ready to move or if Wolfie has already moved out of his Sit/Wait position, correct him and have him return to the Sit/Wait position.
- Continue to open the door until you have the ability to step through to the other side.
- Step through to the other side and have both feet on the other side of the door.
- Make sure that Wolfie has not moved for three to five seconds. Now invite him through the door to be with you.
- Put Wolfie in a sit position next to you for three to five seconds. Give him some praise for doing a great job.
- You are now done. You can release Wolfie if you don't require anything else, walk with him, etc.