- Wolfie might be doing this out of boredom and lack of appropriate distractions. If you don't exercise your dog between 30 and 90 minutes a day, the built up energy in them can cause unwanted behavior. As a first step, make sure that Wolfie has a good deal of exercise. Hint: Walking on a leash down the street is not exercise. You need to get him running and engaging in active events (based on his age).
- Diet is many times a cause for this action. If you are feeding Wolfie poor quality dog food, he is not getting the protein he needs. Switch him to a high quality food without by-products and possibly grains. You can find a great example by going to this site.
- Manage Wolfie's time so that you are with him when he goes to the bathroom. Correct him as soon as he approaches the poop. You can also modify his eating schedule so that he is not alone when he normally has to go to the bathroom.
- Think of adding veggies or DanAcive yogurt to his food. This will help with his digestive process.
- Add probiotic dog supplements to Wolfie's diet.
Sunday, March 4, 2012
Wolfie is Eating His Poop!
This is so embarrassing, but my dog Wolfie likes to eat his poop! Who would think that any animal would want to do that!
To us humans, this is a pretty disgusting thing, but dogs don't look at this in the same light as us. There are many products on the market that try to discourage "doggie poop eating" and you can Google them and try them out. I have found that many of the products are hit and miss and would like to give you some alternative actions to try: