Wolfie and Pottying When It Is Raining
The bottom line here is very simple. It has been pretty dry here all winter long and Wolfie has been taught to go outside on this stuff that is rather dry when he is not getting wet. Now he is getting wet and the ground is mushy with puddles and mud. Some dogs just don't like that.
"No thank you, I won't go here, I will just wait until I get back inside. By the way, when is it going to be dry again?"
The answer is that it will be too long to keep my carpets from being ruined. So, what do we do? The answer, as with most of my blogs, is pretty simple. First, we have to understand the situation when everything was going great. Next, we have to identify when it all fell apart. We then have to review what is different about the two situations. And, finally, we have to create a plan to address the differences. Here we go:
- Let's see... When the ground is dry and it is not raining, Wolfie goes outside like a champ.
- When the ground is wet and mushy and it is raining, Wolfie just doesn't want to have anything to do with the "outside potty".
- So the difference is wet grass and being rained on.
- We need to find a place that is covered where the ground isn't mushy and is protected from the rain.
- Locate a place in your back yard that is protected from the rain. This can be a patio, covered area off your cabana bath door, etc.
- Get one or two pieces of sod from Home Depot and place them in that protected area. You might also think of putting something like a big, plastic garbage bag under the sod to keep your deck clean.
- When it is raining, direct Wolfie to the "dry yard" to do his business.
- Switch out the sod every few weeks to keep the grass relatively fresh and the smell under control.