Dog Training Tips to Keep Your Dog from Running Through The Door Ahead of You
- Put a leash on your dog and slowly approach the door.
- Stop when you are about two feet from the door and tell him to sit and wait.
- Slowly open the door. As you are doing this, keep an eye on your dog to make sure he is not getting ready to bolt through the door. If you see that he is getting ready to move or if he has already moved out of his Sit/Wait position, correct him and have him return to the Sit/Wait position.
- Continue to open the door. Once it is completely open, slowly and calmly step through the doorway.
- Make sure that your dog has not moved for several seconds. Now invite him through the door to be with you.
- Once your dog is in the room with you, have him sit next to you for several seconds. Give him some praise “Good puppy!” for obeying you.
- You are now done. You and your dog can now do whatever you want.